Here at Gunnell Family Dentistry, we are proud to offer dental cleanings for our patients.
Professional cleanings will remove the buildup of plaque and tartar. Then, your teeth are polished nicely. If you need it, fluoride will be applied to your teeth. We will also preserve any teeth that you have had restored.
Professional cleanings also give our dentists a chance to really look at your teeth. We will do a thorough examination to ensure that you don’t have any other problems that need to be addressed. We are hoping to catch any little problems before they become bigger ones!
Preventative Dental Care
Dental cleanings are a regular part of preventative dental care. Cleanings are performed by a licensed dental hygienist or a dentist to remove plaque, tartar, and stains from the teeth. Routine dental cleanings will reduce the risk of severe dental decay and limit the risk of gum disease. Unfortunately, many people avoid visiting the dentist for annual cleanings and examinations, assuming that they are unnecessary. We cannot stress enough how important regular dental cleanings and examinations are to maintain proper oral health and prevent painful, often costly dental work.
Missing Dental Cleanings Will Lead to Problems
Regular cleanings are designed to detect and prevent issues. Failure to have your teeth cleaned regularly increases the risk of the following oral health problems;
- Cavities – tartar and plaque build-up around the teeth and gums, increasing the risk of cavities and tooth decay. Tartar and plaque need to be professionally removed because it is nearly impossible for patients to remove them on their own.
- Gum disease – tartar and plaque often build up around the gum line, causing the gums to become swollen and inflamed. Bacteria and food start increasing gum disease problems, leading to bleeding, and can lead to bone loss if it is not reversed quickly. Annual teeth cleanings can drastically reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Tooth loss – failure to maintain proper oral health can lead to tooth loss. Plaque, tartar, and bacteria can create infected pockets around a tooth, causing severe pain and tooth loss.
- Bad breath – without cleaning the teeth and gums properly, patients can start to see bad breath problems. Bacteria can stain the teeth and remain trapped below the gums, which causes bad breath that is impossible to cover up with breath enhancing products like gum or mints.
What is Involved in a Dental Cleaning?
When you visit our Logan, UT dental office or Hyrum, UT dental office, you can expect to spend about an hour or less in the office for your cleaning. We work quickly and efficiently to clean your teeth. Depending upon the amount of tartar and build-up on the teeth, it could take longer to clean the teeth and gums properly. Here is the process of what you can expect during your visit;
- Examination of the teeth and gums
- X-rays (depending upon when your last x-rays were taken)
- Cleaning of the teeth by scraping away plaque and tartar
- Polishing of the teeth
- Fluoride treatments (for some patients)
Our dentist will discuss your oral hygiene habits and discuss concerns that you may have. If we detect problems, we will discuss treatment options and schedule appointments for proper dental work. Most dental insurance companies will pay for two dental cleanings yearly to help prevent serious dental problems.
If you need a dental cleaning or have any questions, please contact us today at 435-294-3505.